Hi, friends and welcome back to styledbymckenz! As I mentioned in my latest Weekly Wrap Up, this past Saturday was my school’s spring formal. I had such a good time with all of my friends and it felt so good to get all prettied up for a night. At my school, formal is a pretty casual dance in the sense that not too many people go, the girls don’t go out and buy super fancy dresses, and typically nobody goes with a date. Nonetheless we always have a good time. I posted a get ready with me from this dance last year and felt that it was only fitting for me to post one this year as well. Keep reading to see how I did my hair, makeup, and what I wore for the night.
Makeup- I typically like to do my makeup first when getting ready for a dance so that I don’t mess up my hair or anything of that sort. I honestly attempted to take pictures for this post- tutorial style but it was far too much and the steps to this makeup look seemed endless so I decided to just write it out for you all instead.
As far as what I was aiming for when doing my makeup look I pretty much had no idea what I wanted to do with my makeup other than I knew I wanted to wear falsies and a super glossy lip. Here’s what I came up with and how I achieved this look:
- To begin the look I started by priming not only my face with the Nivea Men’s Shave Balm but my lids with the Urban Decay Primer Potion as well. It’s super important to prime if you know you’re going to be moving around a lot and/or sweating a lot.
- Next, I took the Maybelline Matte Fit Me Foundation in the shade ‘220’ on a damp beauty blender and buffed this into my skin to bring an evenness to my face and match my face to my neck.
- I then went in with the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder and set my face to ensure that I did not get oily as the night went on.
- I then concealed my underlies with the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer and set that with the shade ‘Banana’ from the Anastasia Contour Kit.
- Next, I began to skip around a bit by moving to my eyes. I applied the Maybelline Color Tattoo in the shade ‘Barely Branded’ to my lids to act as a base for my shadows.
- I decided to go for a soft pink eye look that would match my dress. I began by taking the shade ‘Champagne’ and ‘Light Pink’ from the Lorac Pro palette and packed this onto my lids with a flat shader brush. For the crease I took the matte shade called ‘mauve’ on a crease brush and blended this out. For my outer -v and my lower lash line I took the shade ‘BFF’ from the Tartest palette.
- I then filled in and shaped my brows using the Anastasia Dip Brow in the lightest shade ‘Blonde‘. (note: the lightest shade is still rather dark if you ask me)
- To carve out my brows I used the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in the shade ‘Milk’. This step will leave your shadows and brows looking super crisp and clean.
- I then applied the Elf Natural Lash falsies and blended my real lashes to my fake lashes with the Maybelline Chaotiques Mascara. For my lower lashes I used the Maybelline Great Lash Mascara.
- Moving back to my face I contoured my temples, nose, and cheek bones with the Lumene Bronzer. I chose to use a bronzer to keep it from looking too harsh.
- I then highlighted the bridge of my nose, brow bone, inner corner, cupids bow, and high points of my cheeks with the shade ‘Champagne Truffle’ from the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette. I also applied a bit of blush to keep my face from looking flat.
- For the lips I used the Buxom Full On Lip Cream in the shade ‘White Russian’. I loved how plump and full this made my thin lips look.
- To finish off the look I used the Urban Decay All Nighter Spray to keep my face looking dewy and prevent my makeup from completely sliding off my face by the end of the night.
Hair- I decided that I wanted my hair to look super big and full for the night so inevitably that left me the option to curl my hair.
I used my USmooth Wave Iron and the Got2BGlued Blasting Freeze Spray to create this Carrie Bradshaw inspired hair look. I loved the way it looked with my velvet dress and choker- all the 90’s vibes baby!
Outfit- Like I mentioned earlier, this dance is pretty casual in terms of what we wear. My mom picked up this pink velvet shift dress from Nordstrom Rack on clearance. I wore some Steve Madden heels that I previously wore to a dance and a black choker that I already had. I chose not to wear any other jewelry because honestly I just find it annoying while I’m dancing. And my nails and toes are both painted the color ‘Ruby Do’ from Sally Hansen.
Below are a few pictures of me and my gals before the dance.
Well that’s a wrap for today’s Get Ready With Me! What did you all think?! Let me know in the comments below along with any other questions, comments, or requests you may have for me. Thank you all so much for stopping by; I hope you enjoyed. Sending you all my love. With love, McKenz.