New York Fashion Week is the most talked about event in the fashion industry. Between the styles, designers, and attenders; the amount of stuff to cover is absolutely endless. I am so jealous of all the bloggers that got to attend such a luxurious event. Unfortunately, I’m sitting on the sidelines wrapping up everything I’ve seen/heard and sharing with you my thoughts and takes on the high fashions that lined the runway over the last week or so.
First things first- the designers. Around 100 designers were selected to be in New York Fashion Week this spring to share their Fall 2017 lines. If I’m being honest, some of the designers I’ve never even heard of as per usual and others are designers whose work I frequently look at and actually enjoy keeping up with. Project Runway, Tommy Hilfiger, and J Crew were some of my favorites to keep up with this time around.
Fashion Week was last week and had various shows all day along from around 9:00 am- 6:00 pm. The next NYFW will be held in the Fall and it is currently Hong Kong Fashion Week where designers like Gypsy Sport, Adam Selman, and Coach will be featured.
After looking through and analyzing literally thousands of pictures from the runways and the streets from this past week I have quickly realized what trends for the upcoming seasons I myself will be seen in, and which I wouldn’t dare wear out. I am so beyond excited to see how stores revamp these styles and what celebs + bloggers will be pulling them right off the runway.
Now let’s dig into the trends. Keep in mind this was the Fall 2017 show.
- Pom poms, tassels, and other fun accents were seen everywhere on clothing. They add a funky flare, that looks DIYed in my eyes. It’s growing on me, if I’m being honest. I like how different it is, and on shoes I think it will be such a statement.
- Politics is another thing that was taken to the runways this time around. Women advertising their strength and their rights was extremely popular and seen on the bodies of many models from Prabal Gurung.
- Talk about velvet everywhere. Dresses, tee’s, pants, shoes… you name it and the runways had it all. I adore velvet and am so happy that it will not be leaving us quite yet.
- Fringe was spotted everywhere as well. Mostly on dresses and skirts. It seems flattering, sexy, and daring.I can’t wait to see what stores do with this trend.
- Oversized everything has taken the hearts of us all for the last few seasons and will continue to be seen everywhere this coming season. Jackets and pants seem to be the latest category to be seeing it.
- Let’s talk about sleeves. Every type of pattern, style, or flare you could imagine a sleeve to have this weeks runway brought. I am loving all of the ruffles and such and have already started to see stores like Forever 21 and Target featuring this trend in their Spring lines.
- And saving one of my favorites for last.. embroidery. I’m not sure why I am loving this one so much but it’s so creative and different that it has completely stolen my heart. I can not wait to see more embroidery on shoes, jackets, and dresses in the near future!!
I obviously am no professional, nor did I attend NYFW, however, based on the countless pictures, articles, and videos I have seen/read/and watched I thought it would be fun to put together my thoughts on this seasons Fashion Week. I love this week because designers are adventurous and create pieces that somehow work their way into more realistic styles that are then later put into our local stores for your average girls like myself to wear. Creativity is absolutely endless in the eyes of designers which is what makes this week so great in my eyes.
What trends did you spot on the runways and/or streets this season?! Let me know in the comments below along with any other questions, comments, or requests you may have for me. Wishing you the best week ahead. With love, McKenz.